Thursday, May 8, 2008

SECC Volunteer Sermon

I am so glad that a sermon about service found it's way to the pulpit. It has been much overdue. When I came to Southeast Christian church 7 years ago kicking and screaming and hurling violent insults about the place- it was the spirit of love and heart for service that told me something was different here. These people were moved by something and I wanted what they had. Turns out what they had was a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I knew Jesus from my upbringing. I didn't know anything about his word. I didn't understand that we wanted me to turn my life over to him- to die to this life and rise with him to new life in the waters of baptism.

The reason why I kept coming back to Southeast was twofold. First I had a very caring couple who witnessed to me and shepherded me back each week. Second, I saw that spirit of love and service from the greeters, the ushers, the worship team, the drama staff, the nursery workers and so many more. I started volunteering in many areas around the church when I gave my life to Christ. My wife and I still do volunteer in many capacities at Southeast.

That spirit of service made this church a bright shining light and we have lost our way. I see times when there are no greeters. The ushers look like a makeshift unit thrown together in haste. We couldn't get our children in the nursery for 6 out of 7 weeks last summer. We're members we can deal with it, but what about the guests. We used to have two large pushes each year and encouragement to serve via registration forms. We used to see listings for every area that needed fresh new volunteers. We have lost our way. The sermon was good, but we need some elbow grease behind the words. Let's see some action to make this problem right.

Let's serve in the community but let's serve the community that has showed up on our doorstep saying "can I come in".

No comments: